the oldest and most trusted online guide to Mexico
  Home | About Us | Classifieds | Get Help | Mailing List | Message Board | Site Map
 Content Guide
  City Guides
  Feature Stories
  Food & Drink
  General Info
  Real Estate
  What's New

  Contact Us
 Getting Married In Mexico

Getting married in Mexico has become an extremely popular option for people from all over the world, who often combine their wedding ceremony with their honeymoon vacation. Below, you'll find a general list of information on how to get married in Mexico. Please remember that this information is general, and can vary from state to state. Please check with the proper authorities, or you may choose a wedding coordinator (both are listed below).

Civil ceremonies are the only ones recognized in Mexico. A religious ceremony can be had, but it isn't considered official.

You must have tourist cards and/or a visa plus passports. No Mexican residential requirements are applicable. Marriages are performed at the "Oficina del Registro Civil" (Civil Registers Office) for a fee (can range from $100 to $250 in resort areas). Every city and small town has an office. Most people in this office don't speak English. This is where a wedding coordinator comes in handy if you don't speak Spanish. The marriage ceremony can be performed elsewhere, but please check with the office for information and extra fees.

Divorced people cannot marry in Mexico until one year after their finalized divorce (this may vary in different areas and proof of divorce may be enough). Minors under 18 can not marry without written & notarized permission from a parent or legal guardian. Some states may require a waiting period of a few days.

You'll need to present the following;

  • A current passport with tourist card or visa (make copies of each)
  • Certified copies of your birth certificate
  • An application stating whether that you wish to marry (available at the Civil Registers Office)
  • If divorced in Mexico, a certificated decree from the Mexican Consular Office
  • A blood test done in Mexico (the CRO will recommend a doctor/clinic) - There is a fee (as high as $60 in some resorts)
  • Two legally qualified witnesses (over 18) who must be present for each person
You'll receive your copy of the marriage certificate at the CRO. Make sure you get certified copies now, so you don't have to go through the trouble at a later date.

NOTE: Foreigners wishing to marry Mexican citizens must obtain authorization from the National Institute of Migration (Instituto Nacional de Migracion). This will take a bit longer and there will be more paper work to process.

Wedding Coordinators

Weddings Planners Directory

Important Contacts

Mexican Consulates

Mexican State Governments

 Home » General Information visas regulations demographics environment maps health social services weather climate the oldest and most trusted online guide to Mexico